Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Hob Nobbing with the Hoi Palloi at the Arts Ball

I wasn't really hob nobbing, and they were more supporters of the local arts than hoi polloi, but it was an elegant gathering at a local country club and I was there to photograph the affair.


This was the 40th annual Arts Ball fundraiser, and I've shot the last four of them so I saw a lot of familiar faces. Interesting lot really. The men were well dressed and the women were elegant. And the setting was tastefully sumptuous.






I shot the whole thing with my Nikon D90 with a camera mounted SB900 flash which I bounced off the ceiling. Set the camera at iso 200 with manual exposure set at f/5.6 at 1/25th sec. This is the same setup I use for shooting weddings, except I shoot Nikon D200's and use studio lights for the formals. And basically the same social skill set works well at all dress up occasions. Stay low-key, be friendly and take as many photos as you can while having a very good time yourself ...    Terry