Monday, April 18, 2022

I shot Peter Tosh because he was a vegetarian

In 1979 I got to spend a day hanging out with reggae star Peter Tosh and his band. I was a contract photographer with a local music mag, the Emerald City Chronicle, in Madison Wi. Publisher/editor Michael St. John sent me along on an interview with Tosh with day before his gig at Headliners on Feb 25, 1979.

The writer and I showed up for the interview. Peter Tosh, along with sidemen Sly Dunbar, Robbie Shakespear and Mikey Chung were hanging out in their hotel room. The mood was casual, but Tosh seemed a little edgy. The interview didn't last long. Tosh spoke to us in his native language, Patois, The writer left in disgust. I'd been to Jamaica a few times and could pick up a little of what Tosh was saying, but not much. I grabbed a couple of quick shots and started to leave when I noticed a macrobiotic cookbook on his bed stand. I mentioned I was a macrobiotic vegetarian. Tosh dropped the Patois and spoke very good English as he talked to me about life, god, politics and lifestyle.

                                                                                              Peter Tosh

Tosh sat me down, lit a spliff and began to tell me about Rastafarianism, the liberation theology of Haile Salassie


Winston Hubert McIntosh was born October  19th, 1944 in Westmoreland Jamaica and died in a home invasion on September 11th, 1987 in Kingston. 

God religion man and  law

Peter Tosh along with Bob Marley and Bunny Wailer formed the Wailers in 1967, the first modern reggae band, and enjoyed great success with the release of early albums Catch a Fire in 1973, followed by  Burnin' and Natty Dread.

No comments: